How to organize step challenge at work?
Just a few years ago, an employer-provided health program was just a nice-to-have welfare initiative. But recent research shows that today, 40% of employees are more loyal to their employer if they feel that the benefits it offers have a positive impact on their lives. Is it more work behind the table, awareness, or an increasing amount of people, who own activity devices? At the end of the day it doesn't matter, but what does, is the fact that physical activity is getting more important for your employees.
Fitness challenges you can do at your job
Sometimes it may be hard to create that personal level connection between different teams and departments. Especially when these are located in different countries or just in a big corporate. At that moment healthy competitions step up – they are designed to increase employee engagement and participation.
In YuMuuv, we have created a lot of different challenge types, just to keep your employees having fun for longer. Starting with a regular walking challenge or activity formula one, where you can see different fitness levels. Also, you can make all the challenges either in individual, collective or consistent perspective. We have written a whole blog post about these so you can check the annual plan with different challenge options out here.
Features that help to create a virtual activity challenges
Step challenge isn't just comparing how many steps someone is doing - it's to increase health and wellbeing. It's about creating that culture at work, while we spend most of our days there. We have heard a lot that human resources managers have tried to do a step challenges in an excel sheet. Still, there are some simple reasons, why they chose to join YuMuuv.
In Excel, everyone have to insert their daily steps manually, while in YuMuuv it's an automatic process and can't come up with topics like cheating. Also, people want to see the ranking - it motivates them to do that extra daily walk or morning run. We have even examples when teams decided to do the active meetings, so during the meeting, they are walking around or even just standing.
Also people like variety - just counting steps for a year isn't attractive, create challenges. Challenges create that bond between people, but also the excitement to push yourself.
How to make your office step challenge work
- When do you want to start? We recommend you to not pick a period full of holidays or extremely busy periods. On the other hand do you have some upcoming team event? If yes, it's amazing time to introduce new workplace step challenge to your employees.
- Which teams you want to make? Are teams as departments or by countries? Make the teams so when employees are signing up, they already can choose the right team.
- Where do you want that communication to take place? If your company is using Slack or some other platforms, where people can send pictures and motivate each other, use that! Make a channel there for active people.
- Is there a prize? What's the budget for that? Who will get it?
Tip: Don't only consider to give a prize for the best participant/team. To get better engagement, communicate the prize will be drawn between all participants. So even those, who are behind, have motivation to keep going.
2) Make these steps
- About a week before activity challenge is starting, communicate it to everyone. Make sure you get the management on board! They are the role models for other employees.
- During the office step challenge, keep the communication alive. Keep participants active sharing stories and good practices. That's why good communication platform is important!
- It's time to make conclusions. Who did the most steps? Who was the most active team? Who won the prize?
- When your next office fitness challenge will take place?
In YuMuuv we have made managing the challenges very simple for you. Starting with admin manuals for you to navigate easily in the app and user manuals to get your employees fast on board. In addition, communication templates with important information for you to send out and the full annual plan you can insert all in once, just in 10 minutes.
We have customer support and help center so you don't have to deal with employee's problems or technical questions. We have an automatic ranking sheet about your employees, but also with all the companies that are moving with YuMuuv. And a lot more just to help you enjoy that journey with others as well with minimal managing effort!
So if you are as excited as we are to move together, then contact us and let's get these steps done!